The City Of Nikolaev
Old city cemetery since 1790, is located on the outskirts of the city on the banks of the Ingul river and consists of several parts. The largest part of Orthodox cemetery, which was buried also Catholics and Protestants. To the North is the old believers ‘ cemetery, and to the South, the Jewish, Mohammedan and Karaite cemeteries. Earlier Jewish and Karaite cemetery was on the Sands, but then it was moved, and in its place built a trolley Park.
The Nikolaev city cemetery was very green and there were a lot of beautiful tombstones and crypts.
In the center of the cemetery is the Church of All Saints. It was built in 1807-1808 “the zeal of the naval officials, Admiralty servants, merchants, burghers, and commoners of Nikolaev”. The Church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1858. the funds of the former Church warden of the merchant of the 1st Guild K. N. Sobolev.
In 1876. through the efforts of a merchant of the 1st Guild I. F. Bartenev and with the assistance of the former chief commander of the black sea fleet and ports of the adjutant General N. And. Arkas is surrounded with an iron fence. The Church — two-altar: in the name of All the Saints and in the name of St. Apostle and Evangelist John the theologian. In 1876. of the means N. And. Arkas in tserkovnoye built two-storey chapel for the burial service of the dead.
Near the Church are several graves of historical figures. The right of the entrance is erected a marble tombstone in the Gothic style, above the family crypt of the Arch-owls. Here are buried Admiral.And. Arkas, General Arkas, their wives, son N. And. Arkas – N. N. Arkas, composer and ethnographer. Here in 1936, after the destruction of the tomb of M. Faleev, was moved his ashes.
To the right were the graves of the heroic crew members of brig “mercury”. The first of them belongs to the commander of the brig “mercury”, wing-adjutant, captain 1 rank Alexander Ivanovich Kazarsky, who in 1829 had passed with flying colours battle with two Turkish ships. Photos and description in the calendar to represent the original appearance of the monument. It is made of black polished granite in the form of vertical plates height of about 3 meters. On the front side, facing the Church, at the top of the round medallion, surrounded by a Laurel wreath, is engraved the inscription: “may 14, 1829.” is the date of the famous sea battle. At the bottom of the pedestal under glass – the relief image of the brig “mercury” going under full sail. In the middle is the laconic inscription in bronze letters: “Kazarsky”. On the opposite side of the monument at the top is a bronze relief medallion with a portrait of Alexander Kazarsky, surrounded by a Laurel wreath. Below — the bronze arms of Kazarsky in the form of a brig and a gun, which serves as the emblem of the famous military Council on Board the “mercury”. when the decision was made to blow up the brig together with the Turkish ships. These attributes conferred the coat of arms Kazarsky by the decree of Nicholas I.
The monument project was developed by architect A. A. Avdeyev, approved by the king in 1865. Constructed by forces and means of the black sea fleet. In a somewhat damaged state of the monument has survived to the present time. It was rescued from ruin cemetery fence.
Near this monument is the tomb of the former Navigator of the “mercury” And P. Prokofiev, who first suggested to be linked to Turkish ship and blow up the brig. Unfortunately, at present the former modest gravestone removed, and instead delivered a pompous marble monument with an angel, who had usurped from another’s grave and did not even bother to erase the traces of the former inscription.
Here are buried other members of the crew of the brig, who bequeathed to be loyal to the land near their commander. Now, however, these graves are absent, and their place filled featureless asphalt.
Near the Church are the tombs of brothers of the Don, known in Nikolaev breeders. Both monuments are the great pyramid with a cross on top. In the middle of the Church are buried the parents of the brothers of the Don, the wife of A. F. Donskoy and their children. And farther, in the family vault of the don L. F. Luca buried himself Fedorovich and his descendants. Cross headstone with don L. F. dropped and broken lying at the foot.
Away from the Church are two interesting monuments. One of them is the tomb of Professor V. N. Karazin, founder of Kharkiv University and of the man who gave the government a list of the Decembrists. Karazin came to Nikolaev to son, had served in the black sea fleet, and there fell ill and died. Now in the crypt Karazin painted satanic signs at night the Satanists have orgies.
The second tombstone is a monument to the defenders of Sebastopol 1853-1855гг. died of wounds in Mykolayiv marine hospital. Such monuments were placed on mass graves in the Salt district, at the city cemetery and in other places. The monument is a tall four-sided pyramid on top of which stood a cross, based on the core. The monument lined with cannon balls. From the four corners monument is surrounded with cannon barrels, dug in the ground, between which are stretched anchor chain. One of the monuments stood before the war in Salt. And the other – even in the postwar period to the cemetery. Details of the monument are dispersed.
At the city cemetery, especially in the area of the Church, many graves of historical persons. But the cemetery itself is a depressing sight: all of the crypts opened and predatory gape holes, inside the crypts of burial crushed, and the remains of some thrown out. Most of the monuments were destroyed, and many are defiled by satanic inscriptions. Everywhere ruin and desolation.