Georgia, Tbilisi, fortress of the XVII century
A contemporary of Tbilisi, Narikala fortress, the townspeople affectionately call the “soul of the city”. It is located on mount Mtatsminda and is essentially fragments of fortifications of different epochs.
Myths and facts
According to the Chronicles, a powerful fortress founded in the IV century. Then it was called Surich-tsikhe (“Fortress of envy”). During the Mongol invasion of the XIII century in the citadel “managed” by the Mongols, who named her in his own way – the Naryn-Kala (“Small fortress”).
In VIII-XII centuries the consolidation grew and expanded together with the city: thanks to its fortified walls stretching up to the river Kur, the hosts controlled the water trade route. The builders cared about the good water: there were various aqueducts and channels, as well as the secret exits to the river. It is believed that the water Narikala – the oldest in Georgia.
At all times, an impregnable fortress properly perform its defensive function. The building is often suffered sieges and destruction with the Iranians, Byzantines, Khazars, Arabs, Turk-Seljuks.
Suffered greatly Narikala during the earthquake in 1827. Located on its territory the Church of St. George in 1800, was designed as a gunpowder magazine. At the time of the earthquake, the gunpowder exploded, destroying the Church and building around. Since then, the ancient complex was not restored.
What to see
The Narikala fortress is an Arabian fortification. Interesting thick walls and remains of towers.
In 1966, during archeological excavations on site were found the ruins of the temple of St. Nicholas (XII century). Now it has been renovated, decorated inside with frescoes.
Tbilisi is also worth a visit Sioni Cathedral – the former main Cathedral of the city, which has preserved its medieval character and Tsminda Sameba, the new Cathedral. Even Georgia is famous for its castle Gremi near the town of Kvareli and fortress Ananuri on the Bank of Jinvali reservoir.