The Abbey Of Our Lady Of Gethsemane
The Abbey of our lady of Gethsemane is a Roman Catholic monastery of the Order of the Cistercians, known as the “mother of all Trappist house in the United States of America”. It is the oldest active monastery in the United States. He is also known for its store little Grand rapids Farms selling monks made cheese, cake and Bourbon.
Myths and facts
In September 1805, French trappists (Order of Cistercians of strict observance) Abbey of Valsainte in Switzerland arrived in Louisville, Kentucky. They came to meet with the first Catholic priest in the United States Stephen Badin. Local residents welcomed the ancient rituals and way of life of a Trappist, the monks brought with them, so invited them to found a monastery. But due to severe floods left the region.
In 1847 two monks from the French Abbey of Melleray as directed by the rector Maxim was looking for land in Kentucky for the construction of the monastery. Bishop Joseph Benedict of Louisville invited them in nearby Nelson County. Here the monks examined a number of buildings and the land known as Gethsemane. They purchased a property in the same area, which was visited by the Trappist. In the autumn of 1848, forty-four monks of the Abbey of Melleray left France, because she was on the verge of revolution, and settled in Gethsemane.
In 1849, the monks demolished the old buildings and built a new chapel, and soon began to plan the construction of the monastery. Father Eutropios two years returned to France to raise funds. The three-storey building of the monastery began in 1852 by the architect William Keely, who took the Abbey of Melleray.
The building is built of brick with wooden beams in the Gothic revival style. Later on top of a Church mounted a large bell tower. Its spire can be seen from great distances, thanks to a new monastery stands out in the countryside. Many local people helped the monks in the construction process. In exchange for hard work Eutropios father promised the villagers free education for their children.
Currently, the monastery is home to about forty monks conduct daily worship services that are open to the public.
The tradition of taking guests spelled out in the rules of the Abbey since its Foundation. Visitors can take part in vigils and liturgies, and daily services. It offers separate rooms for living. There is a guest house with thirty rooms with private bathrooms and air conditioning, available by reservation. Men and women are invited to attend depending on time since placed there on different weeks. Full Board visitors are not provided.
In designated areas are available in the consultation of the monks or the sacrament of reconciliation. The Abbey library offers a wide selection of books, magazines, movies, and audio recordings.
About 1,200 acres of forests and fields that are open for walking and Hiking, offer a vast space for reflection and prayer. Before exploring ask in the administrative centre of the trail map, because there were cases where people (including monks) was lost there.
In the USA there is the Orthodox monastery of the Holy cross where you can hear services in Russian and Ukrainian languages, and in Buddhist monastic community, the City of ten thousand Buddhas in Chinese, in Bedau-in and Jodo-Shu in Japanese.