Lubeck. St. Mary’s Church
The Church of St. Mary in lübeck is considered a masterpiece of Gothic buildings from burnt bricks. For several centuries its tower was the highest towers in the world
D esati meters was enough to clarify once and for all who hold power in the medieval lübeck. Lord’s advisers consciously erected a Church it is so much higher compared to the Cathedral of the Bishop. Both towers of the Marienkirche during its consecration and 1310 towering on 125 meters, and to the construction in the nineteenth century, Cologne Cathedral is the highest Church in the world with two towers.
In fact, not modesty that prompted the masters of councillors to be witty on the river trave, a Church that could compete with the most magnificent religious buildings, and primarily with gigantic Cologne Cathedral. The architect of the Cologne Cathedral Arnold Wolff called later both of these buildings are “godly madness”. However, if on the banks of the Rhine the Cathedral for centuries remained unfinished, the residents of lübeck brought his “crazy building” to a perfect end, and not only because they know how to dream, they were able to take. And more importantly, to pay.
The sample for the Baltic sea region
With melasti manifested in the architecture of the Marienkirche, was the basis of medieval lübeck. Lübeck merchants since the twelfth century, sent their ships to the most remote polimera. After the creation of the Hanseatic League lübeck almost automatically became its center, and a city silhouette, with seven sharp-pointed Gothic towers 0 the model for the entire Baltic sea region. Played a significant role in this case and the Church of St. Mary, which became a model for the seventy churches.
M Marienkirche was the third Gothic Church on the site. Behind the wooden structure back to the founding of the city followed by a modest Basilica in the Romanesque style. When it was damaged during a severe fire, it was decided, in step with the times, about big technetwork construction of the Cathedral in the Gothic style with a gallery, a crown of chapels and two towers on the West side. During the construction of the Cathedral rules, corresponding to the French style of construction of the cathedrals of Sandstone, were transferred to the local material: burnt bricks. For the construction took four million bricks.
In the interior prevails the 39 – metre middle nave, elaborately surrounded by arches supported by columns. Whoever is familiar with North German avarice, it may seem surprising that the Church painted. For several centuries the painting was hidden and was found only during the big fire in 1942.
In spomina of the Marienkirche, it is impossible not to think about the night of 28 to 29 March 1942. In retaliation for the destruction of Coventry and its famous Cathedral the bombs of the Royal air force destroyed to the ground fifth part of lübeck. Completely burned and the Marienkirche. The tower collapsed, and the dome fell on the floor of the Church. Artistic value, which in the Church of St. Mary was more than all the other North German churches, also mostly burned. Managed to save only some items, including a Shrine, an altar to Mary 1518, a tombstone in the late Gothic style by the architect Bernt Notes, also a bronze baptismal font of the XIV century.
Famous organ music
After the Second world war with an amazing sequence fully equipped interior, t refused to restore the Department, which is now freely visible all the space wide middle aisle.
N povrezhdenii left the chapel, which after the reformation was sitting clerk, and the so-called Lord’s chapel. An impressive monument is the chapel of the bells, in which the broken bronze bells are on the same place to which they once fell. All the inhabitants of lübeck helped to restore the temple of God, including the Nobel prize for literature Thomas Mann, who was born in this city.
D’om grandparents of the writer stood in the shadow of the Marienkirche, the Church bells ringing penetrated, as he wrote, in his dreams. Like his brother, Thomas Mann left his hometown. His novel “Underbrace” he put the monument as the city and the Marienkirche.
How wonderful world a wonderful sound, describes how the Church organ, again installed in the Church. Henry Buxtehude worked here as music Director for 40 years from afar and attracted people for its famous evening concerts. Johann Sebastian Bach came to lübeck and with pleasure could be the receiver of the composer: he was offered the position of choir master, but he would have to take to wife the daughter of Buxtehude.