How to Write the Perfect College Essay
Get an A on that next essay!
With school back in session, I am sure many of you are dreading what is to come – your first essay. For those of you who enjoy writing, this is sure to be a breeze. But for those of you who get anxiety at the thought of sitting down to write a paper, read on: these tips are designed to make your life a little easier.
- Find a quiet location. The first mistake many people make is trying to do homework at home. If you are easily distracted, this is the worst thing you can do. Save yourself time and stress by going to the school library or your local coffee shop. What would take you hours to do at home could take much less time if you do not have the opportunity to
- Brainstorm. I know I have said it before but I can’t stress it enough. Try to come up with a couple of ideas and this way you will be able to drop the ones that you cannot find enough quality research for. Do not get set on a topic you cannot support with research. You will waste time this way.
- Make sure there is enough research to back up your subject. Just the other day I wrote a paper on Harry Potter as a modern-day hero. I could have picked a more obscure character but I knew there would be a ton of information on this topic, and I was right. I was able to easily find six sources that I could draw from for a 1000 word paper. Easy, right?
- Break up the work load. Try to do your research on one day and write the paper on another day. If you leave enough time, you can even edit and come back to your paper for another look on a third day. If you try to do everything in one day and you already get anxiety when writing papers, then you are setting yourself up for failure.
- Have confidence in yourself. You have made it this far. If you are very concerned about your writing style or grammar then you can use various online tutoring services or editing services. See if your school website offers a free one and be careful of scams.
These are just a few tips to writing the perfect college essay. Much of the skill that goes into writing the perfect college essay has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of the essay and more with how you set yourself up for success. Good luck to you this semester!